Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Car Troubleshooting

I'm going to use this blog the way I talk about using it: as a place for keeping all my technical stuff. Today, that includes cars.

Car 1 (the favorite) leaks oil like crazy. However, upon closer inspection tonight, I have some evidence to support my hypothesis that it only leaks when it's on (possibly only while she's in park--that was harder to test by myself). I checked the oil today, after it had been off for at least a week, and the oil looked alright. I would normally add oil, but my husband wouldn't. I didn't add any. Then, I turned the car on to check the transmission fluid levels (also has a leak, but a much slower one). Transmission levels appear fine. Turned the car off and decided, just for the hell of it, to check the oil. It was on the "L" bar! Sure enough, there was a big puddle of oil under the car, too. I watched the oil and couldn't see the drips at all. Then, I turned the car on and it dripped once a second! After the car was off, it dripped 9 times the following minute. Hopefully it's the gasket and hopefully it's not a tricky gasket to replace. . . The transmission was easy enough -- drain transmission, take off pan, put on new gasket, put pan back on. Hopefully the oil pan is the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment